Marble Collegiate Church is the oldest place of worship of the Collegiate Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of the City of New York, organized in 1628 under the Dutch West India Company when Peter Minuit was Governor of New Amsterdam. The first minister was Jonas Michaelius, who appointed Peter Minuit as Elder and Bastiaen Jonaz Krol as Deacon. It is the oldest Protestant organization in North America with continuous service for 382 years.
The earliest organized services of the congregation were held in the loft over a gristmill on what is now South William Street. The first church building was erected in 1633 on what is now 33 Pearl Street.
In 1696, when New Amsterdam was under British rule and renamed New York, King William III granted the church a Royal Charter, which was confirmed in 1753 by the Legislature of the Colony of New York and continued in force by the Constitution of the State of New York. It is the oldest corporation in America. Its denominational affiliation is with the Reformed Church in America, known in earlier days as the Dutch Reformed Church. The church has served under three flags: Dutch, British and American.