Habitat For Humanity
Upcoming Marble Volunteer Build Dates
Saturday, November 11
TO SIGN UP ----
1) Go to http://marble.habitatnyc.volunteerhub.com and click “register” to begin.
2) Enter the Join Code "marble".
3) Answer the required questions and then sign-up for a volunteer day.
The Project Has Begun!
Marble Collegiate Church kicked-off our partnership with Habitat For Humanity New York City on September 17. Senior Minister, Dr. Michael Brown and his wife, Mrs. Page Brown, represented Marble at the inaugural ribbon cutting event. View photos from the Kick-Off
Over the next four years, we will be contributing to the build of 4 different houses. With each build we will be establishing an ongoing relationship with the family who will live in each residence, with our first family selected in January, 2017. Once they are selected, you will be meeting them, so stay tuned for that date!
But right now, we need you to sign-up! Join us and our Marble Community to build affordable housing and make a difference in a family's life. Start by viewing the Habitat for Humanity NYC Fact Sheet below (or download the fact sheet by clicking on the blue button also below), and then follow the directions at the bottom of the page to sign up.
Habitat for Humanity Fact Sheet
99-19 203rd Street, Jamaica, NY 11423
Arrive at the Sutphin Blvd/ Archer Ave/ JFK subway shop. (Access the stop by E and J subway trains and LIRR). Go through the glass lobby at the northwest corner of Sutphin and 94th Avenue (past 7 and 8). The Habitat NYC shuttle will be waiting on 94th Avenue. A Habitat staff member will greet and transport you to the build site. Please call the site supervisor if you need assistance with the shuttle.
Join us on a Habitat NYC Construction site as we rehabilitate affordable single family homes, formerly owned by the NYC Housing Authority and sold to Habitat NYC for $1 each. Revitalize this neighborhood and give families a chance at a better future in a new Habitat home.
Michael Leete, (347) 875-0880
8:30am: Meet at the Sutphin Blvd/ Archer Ave/ JFK subway stop, if shuttle needed
9:15am: Volunteers arrive, sign in, waivers, etc.
9:30am: Morning meeting, site overview and Habitat NYC info
12:30pm: Break for lunch
1:30pm: Back to work
3:30pm: Clean-up and wrap-up
4:05pm: Depart, Thank You!
What You Bring
- Please register on Volunteer Hub before arriving to site. (See link below.) Registering online includes completing our liability waiver.
- Wear old clothes, long pants year round or knee length. You will get dirty. During colder months, each home will have warming stations – feel free to dress in multiple layers.
- Bring sunglasses and hats for outdoor work.
- Shoes: Wear thick-soled, slip resistant shoes with strong leather upper or boots (no sneakers or sandals). This is to comply with City and State laws.
- Bring non-perishable lunch and snacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
- No construction experience is necessary. Our knowledgeable Site Supervisor and AmeriCorps Site Leaders will lead you in building the Habitat way!
- We supply all tools, hats, gloves and work belts.
- Water is supplied. Feel free to bring a personal water container.
- Bathrooms: We provide clean port-o-johns with hand sanitizer.
- Items such as bags, purses or coats will either be locked away or in the room where you are working. Cell phone usage is limited to breaks and lunchtime.
About Habitat for Humanity New York City
Habitat for Humanity New York City transforms lives and communities by building and preserving quality, affordable homes with families in need, and by uniting all New Yorkers around the cause of affordable housing. With the help of thousands of volunteers each year, Habitat NYC builds, repairs and preserves homes across the five boroughs of New York City. Learn more at www.habitatnyc.org.