Title: Chief Financial Officer
Reports To: Executive Minister
The Chief Financial Officer provides overall direction for all activities related to Marble’s financial services, planned giving and development services, property, facilities/events, and information systems in order to deliver best practices in financial, legacy, and infrastructure management.
The Chief Financial Officer reports to the Executive Minister and supervises the Business Office staff.
The vision for Marble Collegiate Church includes an aligned focus for all ministry areas and Program Groups on the following strategic directions: Growing Deeper – Growing Relationally – Growing in Generosity -- Growing Young across Generations. Each staff member at Marble is tasked with working to align their ministry areas with these strategic directions and build a growth and outreach plan that prioritizes these areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Works closely with the Senior Minister and Executive Minister on all business services of Marble Collegiate Church.
- Provides oversight of planned giving and development services in collaboration with the Executive Minister.
- Oversees the development of the annual budget in consultation with Marble’s pastors and department directors.
- Provides specialized analyses in support of all business service functions.
- Forecasts all operational and financial activities.
- Develops and, upon board approval, implements institutional policies related to Marble’s gift acceptance, investment, accounting, planned giving, and infrastructure functions.
- Provides staff leadership support for the Marble Board’s Financial Resources Committee and Investment/Endowment Committee.
- Serves as chief liaison with the Collegiate Church Corporation for matters related to accounting and audit functions.
- Oversees the day-to-day services of the staff responsible for the general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, financial reports, analysis, asset management, cash flow, and payroll; approves AP and GL journal entries.
- Ensures all banking and accounting transactions have a secondary review and approval procedure in place.
- Supervises monthly balancing of books and preparation of monthly financial statements;
- Ensures precision and timeliness in Marble’s participation in and response to the Collegiate Churches’ comprehensive annual audit and management letter.
- Monitors and prepares quarterly investment performance reports.
- Ensures timely processing of all pledges and contributions.
- Reviews, advises, and maintains all Church contracts.
- Coordinates the resolution of all Church-related legal issues, except those related to personnel.
Team Development and Management
- Recruits, develops, supports, and supervises all staff in the Business Services area, currently with direct supervision of three individuals with separate but interdependent portfolios.
- Establishes and monitors staff performance and development goals, establishes priorities, sets objectives, conducts annual performance appraisals, and administers salary adjustments.
- Ensures cross-training for all accounting and business infrastructure functions.
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, commitment to quality, and innovative approaches that enhance organizational effectiveness.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Expectations
- Proficiency with NetSuite and Excel preferred or a similar accounting system.
- Wide knowledge and demonstrated success in the management of fund accounting.
- Nonprofit management experience and understanding of nonprofit financial reporting.
- Financial analytical skills.
- Experience in staff supervision, support, and evaluation.
- Excellent written and communication skills required.
- Proven competencies in organizational ethics, strategic thinking, quality service, and adaptability.
- College degree required; an advanced degree in business administration, finance, or organizational leadership preferred.
Full Time, Exempt, July 2021
Monday through Friday with occasional special Sundays once or twice per year. Must be available for evening Board and Board Committee meetings, which occur at least once per month.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the Director of Human Resources through our online job portal at the following link:
Marble Collegiate Church is located on Fifth Avenue and 29th Street in New York City. An open and affirming community, Marble’s history dates back to 1628 and has grown and progressed with New York City to develop a worldwide reputation.
Vision: We envision a world where we all become the individuals God created us to be.
Mission: Marble Collegiate Church is a diverse, inclusive community of God’s people led by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. We inspire everyone to become positive thinkers who make a difference in the world.
Questions & Information
For more information, please contact Applications@MarbleChurch.org.