P.S. 30M Volunteer Program
Volunteer: Tutorial and Cultural Arts Enrichment Program
P.S. 30M Hernandez/Hughes
144-176 East 128th Street
New York, NY 10035
This year, Marble Collegiate Church will partner with P.S. 30M Hernandez/Hughes, which is a part of the New York City Community Learning School Initiative. Our program will focus on math and reading comprehension in a one-on-one tutorial enrichment program with a cultural arts component, and building relationships with tutor and student. If you would like to volunteer, please read below for the schedule, requirements and sign-up information.
About P.S. 30M and our Partner Program
As a Community Learning School, P.S. 30M is a hub where parents, educators, students, businesses and local churches work together to provide programs, partnerships and services that enrich and support students for the purpose of fostering successful, progressive citizens. Marble’s One-on-One Tutorial and Cultural Arts Enrichment Program will benefit selected P.S. 30M CLS students in need of support, as well as their families.
Tutoring Period: Contact Rev. Susanah Wade at (212) 686-2770.
Description: One-on-One Tutoring for Math and Reading Comprehension for 2nd and 3rd grade students
Location: P.S.30M, 144-176 East 128th Street, New York, NY
Training (Mandatory): Contact Rev. Susanah Wade at (212) 686-2770.
Tutoring Days: Tuesday or Thursday
Tutoring Time Slots: Between 9:00am to 11:00am or 12:00pm to 2:00pm
Frequency: Minimum Once a Week for 2 hours
Other Time Commitment: Minimum of One Saturday Cultural/Arts Group Activity with Tutee and Family – These will be museum and science/discovery center outings in and around NYC
- Clear Department of Education Fingerprinting/background check. Further instructions will be provided once we receive completed application.
- Minimum two years of college (with an Associate’s Degree).
- Commit to a minimum of one academic school year (September thru June).
- Completed application form.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Attend a mandatory tutor training session in September.
- Sign Volunteer/Tutor Agreement (provided after fingerprint clearance).
- Be on time for scheduled tutoring sessions
- Advise Resource Coordinator and/or Academic Program Coordinator of anticipated absences or scheduling conflicts.
- Report directly to Academic Program Coordinator or Reading Specialist on scheduled days for 30 minute check-in prior to tutoring (tutor session is one hour) and 30 minute debrief at session end.
- Record all session work in tutor’s folder and adhere to provided session material.
- Communicate any issues or concerns to Academic Program Coordinator.
- Follow instructional methodology provided during mandatory tutor training.
- Adhere to all rules and guidelines of the program.
- Participate in at least one Saturday cultural/arts activity with tutee and his/her family.
All tutoring sessions will be monitored by a certified teacher on staff at (P.S. 30M). Applicants should submit a completed application, résumé and two (2) letters of recommendation to Volunteer@MarbleChurch.org or to:
Marble Collegiate Church
Att: Susanah Wade/P.S. 30M
1 West 29 Street
New York, NY 10001
Please direct any questions to Rev. Susanah Wade at (212) 686-2770.